The mission of the KU Work Group is: supporting community health and development through collaborative research and evaluation, teaching and training, and technical support and capacity building.
Primary Focus Areas
- Community and public health (e.g., promotion of physical activity and healthy nutrition; violence prevention; addressing health disparities)
- Child/youth health and development (e.g., childhood obesity prevention; substance abuse prevention; preventing infant mortality; promoting healthy youth development)
- Community and capacity development (e.g., urban neighborhood development; training of leaders and change agents; technical support for collaborative action)
- Documentation and capacity development for statewide efforts to prevent substance abuse
- Participatory research with the Latino Health for All Coalition
- National study of how community programs and policies affect childhood obesity
- Consultation on evaluation design
- Community Change Academy training to build capacity among change agents
- Consultation on web-based action toolkit design
- Participatory evaluation of collaborative efforts to reduce disparities in health outcomes
- Documentation and capacity development for violence prevention initiatives of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Some funding sources
- National Institutes of Health
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Department of Health and Human Services
- Bristol-Myers Squibb Foundation
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
- State and local government agencies
Capacity Building Trainings
People taking action need skills in core areas including assessment, planning, advocacy, evaluation, and sustainability. The KU Work Group has decades of experience teaching and stimulating use of basic community competencies; online, and through in-person, workshops, webinars, and classes.
IN-PERSON WORKSHOPS & TRAININGS
- Workshops are highly interactive, featuring turn-to-your-partner and group activities
- Web-based trainings can be held individually or as part of a series
ONLINE COURSE DEVELOPMENT
- Adaptation of core competencies for specific audiences and online delivery
- Experienced presenters deliver guidance for larger audiences
COMMUNITY CHANGE ACADEMY
- Intensive (often 3 to 5 day) training in core processes for change and improvement
- Experienced staff equip others to deliver field-tested trainings and curricula
The KU Work Group provides information and training in the fields of community health and development both online and through training workshops. Through the Community Tool Box, the KU Work Group also provides online resources as a public service.
For more information about our services, please contact the KU Work Group by phone at (785) 864-0533, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit http://communityhealth.ku.edu.