1. Define the community and identify problems or goals the group is interested in addressing.
__ Identify the community of place, experience, and/or interest to focus the group's efforts.
__ Identify the broad issues the group will address in the community to focus the analysis and assessment of information.
2. Engage local people and other key stakeholders in analyzing information about the problem.
__ Provide an opportunity for local people and other stakeholders with varied interests to participate in analyzing the issue.
3. Collect and assess information about the extent of the problem or goal and its importance within the community.
__ Collect and assess information about the history and context of the community and its importance to the problem or goal.
__ Collect and assess information about the extent of the problem or goal and its importance to the community and key stakeholders.
__ Populations affected by the problem have been identified and engaged in assessing its importance.
__ The group has identified and assessed the consequences of the problem for people affected by it.
4. Identify the key behaviors of whom and related environmental factors that affect them.
__ Identify whose behavior needs to change to affect the immediate problem or conditions contributing to the problem.
__ Identify personal factors and environmental factors that put people at risk for (or protect them from) the problem.
5. Identify resources and barriers to addressing the problem or goal.
__ The group has identified potential barriers or resistance to addressing the problem or goal.
__ The group has identified organizational or community resources/assets that can be used to help address the problem or goal.
6. Identify the promising interventions that address the key factors affecting the problem or goal.
__ Provide an opportunity for local people and other key stakeholders to propose potential solutions for addressing the problem/goal.
__ Review evidence of the effectiveness of promising approaches and consider whether what worked elsewhere might work well in the local situation.
7. Use the analysis in developing, adapting, and evaluating the approach for addressing the problem or goal.
__ The group uses or references the assessment or analysis of the problem or goal to inform or support decision-making.
__ The data or information collected in the assessment or analysis is used in evaluating the efforts of the initiative or group.