Search form

Ask an Advisor Answers

Adult son isolates himself depressed will not communicate what can we do to help him?

Hi Kari,
We can suggest only two possibilities:  Consider contacting the local chapter of the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI).  You can do a search for their national website and find the nearest local chapter.  The members are persons challenged by mental illness and family members of persons facing those challenges.  They can offer support, general information, and relevant classes.  Please give them a try.  If he is willing, invite your son to attend also.
If your son is an adult, your options for getting him connected with mental health services may be limited by his right to be unwilling.  If you see signs of suicide risk, it is important to ask local mental health providers to do an assessment of risk.
Best wishes!

Question Date: Wed, 06/07/2017