1. Identify indicators of success for the initiative.
- The group has specific agreed upon outcomes to guide the work of the initiative.
- There is a clear audience or identified stakeholders who care about the outcomes of the initiative.
- The group has identified the key questions of interest for each identified target audience.
2. Specify reporting requirements about the activities and outcomes of the initiative.
- The group regularly communicates or reports the progress or status of the initiative internally to key leaders, members, and partners of the initiative.
- The group is responsible for regularly communicating or providing reports regarding the progress of the initiative to important external audiences.
- There are clear expectations and conditions for communicating or reporting the outcomes of the initiative to key stakeholders and target audiences.
3. Use incentives and disincentives to encourage outstanding implementation of activities and improvement in outcomes.
- The group has clearly established consequences associated with the performance or actions of the group.
- There are clear consequences including incentives and disincentives associated with the attainment of the initiative's outcomes.
- The group has identified the appropriate conditions for which the use of incentives and disincentives would enhance the efforts of the initiative.
- The group has identified incentives or disincentives that are appropriate to be used by the initiative.
- The group has identified the appropriate level within the initiative to use incentives or disincentives.
- The rewards for the group are administered or supported by key stakeholders in positions of relative influence or authority for the initiative.
- The group has incentives and disincentives to support the work of the initiative at multiple levels of the initiative.
- The distribution or allocation of rewards is appropriate for the initiative’s current stage of development.
- There is a timeline or schedule associated with the distribution or allocation of the majority of incentives and disincentives related to the efforts of the initiative.
- The incentives or disincentives that are used matter to the group receiving the rewards.
- The distribution of identified incentives/disincentives is based on the attainment of the intended objectives.
4. Develop a system for documenting and providing feedback to monitor the activities and outcomes of the initiative.
- The group documents the activities (implementation of the intervention) or efforts of the initiative in addressing the issue.
- The group collects longer-term indicators or outcomes measures.
- The group, including both the staff and board members, regularly review the evaluation questions and documented data to assess the progress of the initiative.
- The group regularly shares and communicates data to key stakeholders and others with a stake in the initiative’s success.
5. Arrange celebrations and public recognition for those who bring about change and improvement.
- The group regularly celebrates the progress of the initiative in attaining anticipated outcomes.
- The group regularly provides formal recognition for stakeholders for their contribution towards progress in attaining outcomes.