Tool: Determining interests of both parties
This tool will help you access what is important for you and what is important for your opponent. Filling in the questionnaire you can examine your best alternatives to find a solution to your conflict.
- What are my interests?
- What do I really care about in this conflict?
- What do I want?
- What do I need?
- What are my concerns, hopes, fears?
- What kinds of agreements might we reach?
- What third party, outside of the conflict, might convince one or both of us that a proposed agreement is a fair one?
- What objective standard might convince us that an agreement is fair? (a law, an expert opinion, the market value of the transaction?)
- Is there a precedent that would convince us that an agreement is fair?
- What are the interests of my opposition?
- If I were in their shoes, what would I really care about in this conflict?
- What do they want?
- What do they need?
- What are their concerns, hopes, fears?
What's my best alternative to negotiations?
Ways to make my alternative even better:
What's their best alternative to negotiations?
Ways to make their alternative less appealing: